Monday, September 5, 2011

Carvalho ?has never felt so disrespected,? quits national team

Riccardo Carvalho was all smiles when he arrived at Portugal's training on Wednesday, but in a bizarre turn of events, he ended up walking out on the team and announcing his retirement from international football without saying anything to the team or federation.

As the rest of the squad prepares for Friday's Euro qualifier against Cyprus on Friday, Carvalho said (via Reuters):

"I feel in full physical and mental form, as I have shown for my club and country, but if I am made to feel unnecessary and am not told so, then the only way is out," Carvalho said in a statement carried by Lusa.

The 33-year-old Real Madrid centre back did not explain what happened at the camp and media reports saying he left because he felt he would not be in the starting lineup were unconfirmed.

"Having earned 75 caps and been deeply dedicated in defending the national side's reputation, I have never before felt so disrespected and wounded in my dignity.

"Among my peers I am just another athlete, but like others I deserve consideration and respect," he said.

So what could have been so disrespectful and hurtful to his dignity that it would make Carvalho immediately walk out? Did they make him act as Ronaldo's personal gel receptacle? Did he finally realize that Nani isn't Michael Jackson after all and all those autographs are now worthless? Or did Pepe shove his head in a toilet and repeatedly kick him in the back? We may never know.

Photo: Reuters

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Carvalho-has-never-felt-so-disrespected-quits?urn=sow-wp4503

Vladimir Guerrero Evan Longoria Joe Mauer Robinson Cano

No comments:

Post a Comment